For anyone out there that is new to reloading, or at least new to casting bullets:
Liquid Alox is an awesome cast bullet lube. I use about a half tablespoon per 200 bullets, and it's overkill, truthfully. You could get by with less.
Plop some in a sandwich bag with about 200 bullets, seal the bag, and knead the bag for 3 or 4 minutes. Pour the bullets out onto a clean surface that you can throw away (I use whatever is handy: wax paper, aluminum foil, paper plates) and let dry for 24 hours.
It covers everything in a nice coating that STAYS PUT, especially once dry. Even before it dries, the natural lubricity repels water, and it sticks so well that it took 4 washings to get it all off my hands, even using Dawn dish soap.
So, just saying, if you are looking for a good cast bullet lube, don't overlook liquid Alox. It's sold by several companies for reasonable prices, and it works like nothing else for cast lead bullets.
22 minutes ago




5 comments:
Note to self, "wear rubber gloves next time".... ;-)
I will definitely wear rubber gloves next time I use the alox!
It's my old favorite. Love the stuff. And, for magnums and rifle bullets, you can double-dip them. When casting for the .30-30, I'd lube them as-cast, then apply the gas check when I sized the bullets, then lube them again. Never a problem with leading.
It's good stuff, and proof that 'old' stuff still works! :-)
Silvius- yeah, that would be the smart thing!
Pawpaw- good to know!
NFO-Totally agree! Usually, old stuff works better than the new-fangled!
Post a Comment