Sunday, August 28, 2016

Camper Progress

Painted today. Found a blue that matches the blue in the tweed of the bench. It was Bahr premium paint+primer, and I got a gallon for 9 dollars.




After 4 coats on the countertops and camp boxes (my great grandfather made the camp boxes. My dad passed them to me recently. With my son, this will be the 5th generation to use them), it was time to install the counters. Here is a picture of the interior in "packed" mode.


The idea is, the two boxes in front get removed from the camper, and get converted into tables that go outside the camper. The white box in the middle flops back (there is a piano hinge connecting them) onto the blue countertop in the rear of the photo, making a small galley kitchen. Once set up, it looks like this:


My wife spent about 2 hours giving the camper a good cleaning while I was working on the counters.

I got the gas lines re-run easily. Next is the water lines. I am soaking all the connectors, so I will tackle it in a day or so.

After the water lines are done, all that is left will be replacing the matress, and putting in a new A/C unit.

I'm pleased with the progress!

6 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Looks great, son. The camp boxes are blue? Cool. The old man would be proud. Those boxes have a lot of experience in the woods.

A/C?? I thought you were camping! Just kidding, that will be nice.

Old NFO said...

You do good work! :-)

Old NFO said...

OH yeah, and those 'camp boxes' look suspiciously like rifle cases...LOL

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Ha! Thanks, NFO! And it's all about perspective. The boxes are only about 2 ft long. They wouldn't hold a very big rifle! They do great with cast iron, bowls and paper towels, though!

Pawpaw- yeah, I'm happy I could breathe a little life into those camp boxes!

Matt said...

I wondered what happened to those boxes. I'm glad to see them getting use again.

Adrie said...

Absolutely fantastic looking! So glad to see y'all doing this son! I remember Paw Paw's pop up! You'll so enjoy camping in it.