Saturday, July 15, 2017

C.R.K.T. S.P.E.W.

At Academy the other day, I saw a knife on their clearance rack. It was made by Colombia River Knife and Tool, a decent middle-of-the-road brand knife maker. I liked it immediately for several reasons: 1) It was a smaller knife- I'm past the point of wanting *UGE!!* knives, and I find a small fixed blade knife to be ideal for lots of things. 2) it's a wharncliffe design, meaning a straight blade with a sharply tapered point-it's a good utility design that can pull double duty a s a self-defense blade. 3) it came with a solidly okay sheath-yeah, I'm a leatherworker, and this thing may get a new sheath at some point, but it didn't come with a shitty nylon job that I couldn't use, so this knife doesn't have to get relegated to the desk drawer until I can make a sheath.

Anyway, I was able to pick it up cheap today when I went back to academy, and having been futzing with it for the past hour, I like it. I mean, it's just an initial impression and all, but it seems like a well-designed knife. It came very sharp out the box, but I suspect that the steel used will need dressing often.

That's not a problem, however, as I have a nice set of stones to keep it honed.

So there ya go, initial impressions of the CRKT SPEW are positive, even if the name implies that it would blow chuncks.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

When I see SPEW this is all I can think of:
"The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare (S.P.E.W.) was an organisation founded in 1994 by Hermione Granger in response to what she saw as gross injustice in the treatment of house-elves at the 1994 Quidditch World Cup.[1]"

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

I think it stands for Small, Pocketable, Everyday Wharncliffe, or some such silliness as that.

Unknown said...

That makes much more sense in regards to your knife!

Matt said...

It's a cute lil thing , ain't it?

Matt said...

It's a cute lil thing , ain't it?

Wilson said...

Looks interesting and I’ve never had any problem with the CRKT knives that I’ve owned.

diesel smoke said...

Good morning
I picked up that same knife awhile ago. I think at the BX.
The only thing I don't like about it is the sheath.
I would like to buy good sheath for it.
When you make one, make two.
I'll send $.
Also looking for a couple of holsters for my Ruger Security Six 357. One left handed, one right handed, and a sling for my 1894 357.

Thanks

DS

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

DS- drop me an email at lazyjdleatherworks (at) gmail (dot) com

Let me get more details of exactly what you are looking for, and we'll make it happen.