Monday, July 17, 2017

Full Tooling

2 weeks ago, when I was visiting family, my Brother-in-law told me he wanted to commission a fast draw rig. He said he wanted some tooling, and wanted it dark brown. I gave him the family price, and asked him if he trusted me. 

"Yeah, I trust ya"

Well, I showed him an example of some tooling that I wanted to try, and he liked it (it was the border tooling on the 'Hand of God' rig made by Will Gromley for Russel Crowe's character in '3:10 to Yuma').

I didn't tell him that I wanted to embellish the tooling I showed him, or that I was going to do more than just that tooling.

But, he told me he trusted me, so I started working.


There are 1,399 individual tooling marks in this rig. Ask me how I know. (Heck, you don't have to ask, just look at the gnarled claw that's probably going to simultaneously develop arthritis and carpal tunnel that is my right hand.)


Anyway, he got a good deal on a custom, fully tooled rig, and I got another walking billboard for my work, so I think it's a win-win!

6 comments:

Pawpaw said...

That's fine work, right there.

Unknown said...

Beautiful work.

J.D. Brown

DaveS said...

That's a sweet looking holster!

Matt said...

Man, that is awesome, you are quite the craftsman.

Matt said...

Man, that is awesome, you are quite the craftsman.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

All- thanks for the kind words. I still have to put a coating of Resoline on it to protect the leather, and I need to add a hammer tiedown, but otherwise, this rig is done!