This is my Reenacting kit and tools, or most of them anyway. Some things are a little hard to get together for a picture.... like my anvil....
Let's see... in no particular order... 3 knives, 2 spoons, a fork, a pair of carpenter's pliers, a roll of tarred marlin, 2 belaying pins, a set of woodcarving palm tools, a workman's cap, a square, a mallet, a watch, a pair of woven garters, a hammer, a tomahawk, a level, a leather jack, a stoneware mug, 2 leather pouches, a belt, 2 canvas bags, my leather working kit, which contains a bunch more stuff, like awls, pins, dividers, etc, a Spanish musket drill command cheat sheet, a sharpening stone, a copper tube, a 'pirate coin' that was in my tip jar at the tavern one weekend, my bit roll, a brace, 4 chisels, a carving knife, a left handed hook knife, a blade for a right handed hook knife, pencils, a tinker toy, a sharpening steel, 4 large leather scraps, a flint and steel kit, and a length of flannel to make char cloth.
There are a few things in my kit that aren't period correct. Like the level. The public rarely sees these things, but occasionally, you need a level, so you try to find one that will blend in with the bench if it's set down as a visitor walks up. You try to avoid the public seeing these things, but if they do, you hope it blends in well enough that they don't really 'see' it.
In this picture, the things that aren't correct: Pencils, the 'pirate' coin, level, tinker toy, and the musket drill sheet.
The drill sheet is an aid for, well, musket drill, the tinker toy I use as a teaching aid to explain a pegged joint to children, the pencils stay hidden when visitors are around, and I haven't even looked at the 'pirate' coin since I dropped it in my bag weeks ago.
I guess the level is the only one I don't feel 100% comfortable with having in my kit.
Please, don't call me a Farb! It's just a level!

8 comments:
The level is only farby if you say "If they'd have had it, they would have used it!"
*cringe*
The Egyptians have been using levels since about 2000bc. Their version looked like a mini A frame with a small plumb bob attached at the apex. The cross bar was marked in increments with a larger line scored at the center. Who is to say that your soldier couldnt have seen one in his travels and simply copied it.
Hmm... according to Wikipedia the bubble level was invented in the 1920's, but it seems like it would be easy enough to make with a little bit of glass blowing skills...
Don't sweat it Bubba.
It only counts as farb if you KNOW it isn't P.C. (period correct) but don't care. (ie: if they would have had it, they would have used it, as Lady Nancy says)
Be careful about that belaying pin. That's ship's equiptment and if the captain or bo'sun catches you taking it off the ship, the best you can hope for is to be clapped in irons and given bread and water......
Heh. yeah, Michael, you're right about the belaying pins. I turned one on the lathe, and used them to show some of the useful items you could make on a lathe. I don't actually carry them. As for levels, ya know guys, I think I'm gonna have to do some research and figure out how to make or get a period one.
And after a bit of research, it seems a spirit level is period correct, jut not the type I have. Wood frame, 2 curved glass tubes in each viewing window. They were invented by Melchisedech Thevenot sometime before February 1661, but didn't see widespread use until the early 18th century. They were referred to as the 'Thevenot type level'....
Research is awesome. And now the quest to find a proper level!
You know It wasn't that long ago that I remember an 18 year old kid that had all of the mechanical inclination of a sausage! It is so cool for me to see you now, not only as an enthusiastic carpenter / blacksmith but a knowledgeable one by all accounts, and with period tools no less. I think that we will be able to learn alot from one another and I am looking forward to the opportunity with much excitement!!!
Boy, sons, you make a mom's heart proud...not only are you both good writers, but you both are pretty damn knowledgable and interesting guys! Love you!
Post a Comment