The wife, kidd-o, and I went to wally world this evening to pick up a delightfully random assortment of things. Some spray bottles, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and some gift cards later, we were leaving the checkout line and walking toward the exit.
I saw him standing there, using his buggy more as a crutch than a basket to contain his goods. He was tall and lean, but bent with time. His watery eyes spoke of many untold sights. Perched atop his head he wore one of those veteran's caps. Foam front, mesh rear, all black. It had a golden WWII emblazoned across the front. He was wearing a light jacket, even though the temperature was in the upper 70's.
I reached out a hand. He took it with a questioning look, fingers cold due to poor circulation.
"Thank you for your service, sir".
He mumbled in a surprised fashion for a second before a whispered "your welcome" came through. I nodded, and continued on. He was choked up at being thanked for what he gave, and you could tell he was warring with being proud or embarrassed. I left quickly so that he didn't feel embarrassed. That wasn't my intent.
I've made it a point to thank the men and women in our armed forces, as well as veterans, firefighters and police officers. If I can recognize them, I thank them. They give a lot, and rarely receive thanks for their sacrifice.
But my encounter tonight got me thinking: Shouldn't the roles be reversed? Shouldn't we look at him and be slightly embarrassed that so many people pass by our veterans and service men and women without thanking them?
It shouldn't be a thankless job, being in the military, or being a police officer or firefighter.
And it doesn't have to be. Go thank the heroes in your life.
And be damned sure to thank those you pass on the street as well.
24 minutes ago

2 comments:
Thanks for the reminder. Sweet Daughter does it far better than I, but I'm not too proud to learn from her.
Joey, beautiful story, sweet tribute. Thank you. You write it well.
Post a Comment