Like I said, I didn't need it, but the price was right. I've kicked the can down the road on what to do with it: another concealed piece? A glove-box gun? Trade fodder?
A few weeks back it struck me: I have a pretty decent concealable gun that I don't haveven hardly any money in.... I decided to use it in a get-home setup.
I never had what I considered enough guns that I could casually toss one into a get-home bag and forget about it. I considered picking up a SCCY for that reason, because, let's face it, those guys make an okay pistol at a good price.
But since I have a good quality gun with short money in it, I figured I'd build a rig for it, throw it in a backpack along with a first aid kit, 2 MREs, a few bottles of water, a change of clothes and a pair of boots, and a few other odds and ends, and I could throw it in my truck and forget about it.
Well, I will probably add a few other things to the bag, and since I live in a city, I won't leave the bag in my truck, but I will likely stash it by the door, and get into the habit of grabbing it on my way out.
Anyway, I grabbed a second extended mag for the gun a few weeks ago, and decided to make a holster and belt for it. The belt is completely dry, but the holster is still wet, which accounts for the color difference.
After I finished up the holster, I figured I needed a mag pouch, too, so I made a horizontal oriented one, because the point is concealment.
At any rate, I'm going to dye them black... I actually prefer the look of brown or tan leather better, but this rig is for deep concealment, and black blends in better if seen peeking out from under clothes in an urban environment. I live in a pretty large city currently, and commitments will be keeping me here for the next 3 years. A get-home bag may be set up very differently if I was living in more rural environs, but I think this is a good setup for my current situation.
Another note: I am left-handed. I thought a lot about making this rig a lefty or righty rig, as I am comfortable carrying and shooting on either side. I considered making a right hand rig, because then I could let my wife use it if she happens to be with me, as it would be pretty unusual for me not to have some kind of gun on, anyway, and since this gun has a right-handed thumb safety, and it would be inconvenient to operate it left-handed.
Eventually, I settled on a lefty rig, cut the pattern, started stitching it up, and realized that I had flipped the pattern!
So it's right-handed, which is just as well, really.
Anyway, hopefully I can post completed pics in a few days, after I get done dyeing and sealing the rig.



3 comments:
Blonde, natural leather. It takes on a nice patina after just a little while. Nice, very well done.
Thanks! Yeah, although I went with Black on this rig, there is nothing like the look of oiled vegetable-tan leather!
I like the get home prep. Simple but totally adequate. Where you live I could legitimately see things going all
Post a Comment