Sunday, December 17, 2017

Guns, Leather, and Vinyl

I've been texting back and fourth with a buddy of mine. He lives about halfway between my place and my Dad's. He asked me to do some leather work for him, specifically a stock wrap and sling for his Marlin 1894, much like the one on mine, but for right handers.


I just so happen to have a pattern for that (heh!), so I told him I would be happy to. He has a maker's mark that he wants in the leather, and I know he has a vinyl cutter, so I told him to make me a cutout of his mark, and I would dye the stock wrap, apply the vinyl, then dye it darker, leaving him a two-tone image of his mark after removing the vinyl.

He liked the plan, and agreed to it. I told him to go ahead and make me a cutout of my maker's mark too, while he was at it.

He gave me a sheet with multiple sizes, so I applied one to my truck, and we put one on my Dad's van today. It's nice, I think.



As part of the payment for the leather work, my buddy gave me a set of round to square rosewood grips for my 686. He has one, too, but keeps a set of Hogues on his, so has no use for the rosewood ones. I picked up the grips when I was there, but apparently left something.


He sent me this pic with a text reading "Santa came early this year!" Looks like I need to swing back by his house later.


Anyway, there's a random blog post for you. Somewhat rambling, no point, but a snapshot of my last two days, at any rate.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Whether you post or not I still usually swing by here a couple times a week just to see what is going on. Merry Christmas to you, Melissa, and the boy!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Thanks, Unknown! Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well!

Unknown said...

Sorry, I forgot to sign my last comment. Google just throws it in as unknown ☺

-J.D.

Old NFO said...

Nice work and a pretty set of grips! Merry Christmas to you and yours!