If you surf the gunternet, you have seen today that the G19x is out. Which is basically Glock' s submission to the US Army MHS program, which they did not win.
While this is nowhere near the most interesting firearm released in the last week (that honor goes to the Ruger PC Carbine... I got the wants!), I have to say, I think a better name has already been attributed to it.
Over a year ago, Pawpaw said they should do it and it should be called the Glock 17 Commander, and damned if he wasn't right.
I think a G19 longslide would be more practical for a lot of people, but apparently Glock thought this was... Perfection?
Interesting the way shit plays out, isn't it?
20 minutes ago

11 comments:
Hmmm Interesting.
A PC Carbine? I hope they sell by the metric butt-ton, but I suspect that they'll be too little, too late.
I dunno. Buzz is strong on this one. Ban state compliant, take down, traditional styling...
People are getting AR fatigue. They are starting to want their ARs to look like ARs, but want their other guns to be different than their "battle rifle".
And Pistol Caliber Carbines are currently experiencing a renaissance. At a street price of $525, putting out a takedown 9mm rifle that takes Glock mags with Ruger's legendary warranty? They will move 'em by the bushel basket.
I have a serious case of the wants for that new carbine! Especially since it is a take down and I already have SR9 magazines hanging around.
J.D. Brown
The 19x does seem like an answer in search of a question. Of course, the fanbois on Facebook are already salivating all over it.
Aaron: weird thing is, I can actually see a use for it. Take me, for instance:
Big guy (read overweight), generally carries OWB strong side hip with a cover garment... since I wear baggy untucked shirts, grip length really isn't a problem to conceal, especially with a holster with a 15 or so degree forward cant. But saving muzzle length to keep the barrel from poking out underneath the cover garment? That's actually useful.
Sure, for thinner people who carry IWB, grip length is WAYYYY more important than barrel length. But there are more ways to carry than IWB, which I think the tactical crowd who want them some G19L's forget.
Doesn't make others dumb or uninformed for not wanting to carry IWB. Just different. The Commander pattern 1911 wasn't created in a vaccum; there was a need. It may not be nearly as relevant these days, but there was a need. That's why they make lots of different types of guns. So just about anyone can find one that fits their carry style and is comfortable to shoot.
I can definately see a niche for the G19X.
That said, it looks about a appealing as roadkill to me. Blech!
Interesting about the carbine. But good God, that thing is Ugly. Who knows it may grow on me, but damn if my Hi-point carbine doesn't look better!
Matt: I see the carbine as a form-follows-function type setup. It could be prettier, sure, but it really fits a niche that I have been wanting to fill for a while. I have been considering other options, but this one hits all the points for me:
Price
Takedown
Ambi controls
Takes Glock mags
Made by a brand with an excellent reputation for backing their products
Decent iron sights
A plan from the factory for optic mounts
A plan from factory for a light mount
It checks alllll the boxes. I want one bad.
That's all true, and I get your points, it's probably a way better rifle than the hi point, but it is still uglier than a chainsaw wound!
I’m also interested in that Ruger carbine. I’m waiting the reviews. A .45 auto would also be nice!
Wilson-
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it, too. I will probably wait about a year, make sure all the kinks are worked out... But one of the new Ruger carbines is definitely on my short list.
I got in a discussion with Tamra Keel about this. The contract was really arbitrarily specific about length and also magazine capacity. As such they pretty much had to slap a G19 slide on a 17 frame instead of just submitting either alone. So it was an answer to a really specific question.
Maybe it’s unique characteristics will work well for some folks. I think a lot more would benefit from a 17 slide and a 19 grip length but till they let me make marketing decisions for Glock my opinion doesn’t matter much.
Post a Comment