Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Time to Dye!

Actually, I'm done dyeing, but who doesn't like a play on words?!

First, I mixed my own dye. The tan dye I had was too light, and the brown I had was too dark. I cut the dark brown dye with alcohol (about 1/3 dye to 2/3 alcohol) and tested some scrap pieces, continuing to add alcohol until it was coming out the way I wanted. Then i used this mix to dye all the tooled areas.


After that dried, I covered all the tooled areas with hi-liter, and after letting it sit for 30 seconds or so, wiped it off. This let all the impressions get a little dark in the deepest parts, lending debth and a bit of an aged look.

Next, after letting that all dry overnight, I dyed all the remaining leather black,  being careful not to get it onto the tooled areas. After getting close, I used a thin brush to get up next to the tooling lines.


Lastly, I used the thin paint brush to put dye into all the textured background areas of the tooling.



I'm at about 15 hours in at this point, and soon I will be able to start the actual work of constructing this rig.


3 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Wow! That looks great. Plan to have a vendors booth set up at Louisiana State. You can use my 10X10 shade awning. I beet you'll have lots of visitors at your booth.

drjim said...

Very nice work!

Unknown said...

Wicked good looking!

J.D. Brown