Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sweaty, Nasty Work

My job is in jeopardy.

The University of Florida Assumed control of 34 historic properties in downtown St. Augustine today. Properties that have been in the stewardship of the City of St. Augustine for about 10 years now. Approximately 10 of those properties housed the Colonial Spanish Quarter, where I work as a city employee. I went to work this morning, and technically, I was trespassing. My boss came by with an email stating that during the transition process, we had a right to continue to do our jobs. This is a good thing, as I like getting a regular paycheck.

The city and UF are in talks as to what will happen with the Colonial Spanish Quarter. I may continue to be employed by the city. I may become an employee of the University of Florida. I may lose my job.

We're all grown-ups, though, and my immediate supervisor being the stand-up guy he is, he was present this morning for the shakeup, even though it's his day off. My boss (also his boss) gave us a list of things that needed to get done, after she told us that we weren't trespassing. It was matter of fact. She's in the same boat we are.

I saw my immediate supervisor's face fall at the laundry list she gave us. Shit rolls downhill, and most things fall on his shoulders around the Quarter. I decided that since I was an extra on the schedule, I'd try to get as much done as possible for him. He's a great supervisor, and doesn't need an extra ration of shit. Also, it kept me busy, and didn't allow me to think about the possibility of being laid off.

Today, I cleaned and cleared an area of rubble, re-attached a fence gate, moved a few railroad ties to a dump site, removed 6 fence panels to a storage site, tore down a fence and drug off the debris, moved about 1/3 of a chord of firewood, moved a hose and reel across the site and watered some plants, and moved 2 large terracotta pots approximately 2 acres. It kept me busy. It apparently caught my boss' eye, as she came by and personally thanked me, and hopefully, it spared my supervisor some headache tomorrow.

It's been a long, hot, nasty,sweaty day. I'm tired. I'll talk to ya'll later.

4 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Prayers in your direction, and fingers crossed. Historic sites are getting whacked all across the country. My degree is in "American Studies with an Emphasis in Historic Preservation", and I graduated back in the 80's - the last time the unemployment rate was at 10%. This would explain why living history is now my avocation, and I do something else to pay the bills.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Damn dude. Layoffs suck big time. I hope the axe doesn't swing your way. As I'm sure you know There have been quite a few layoffs at my job, All you can do is do your job the best you can and hope it isnt you. Keep your head up. You will be fine.

Michael W. said...

Pard,

Sorry to hear it. You are the kind of employee that historic sites need because you are a person who shares what they know with visitors because you enjoy it, not because you have to as a part of getting a pay check. Unfortunately history related sites always get it broken off in them when times get hard.

Good luck.....

Pawpaw said...

Damn, son, that's tough. I don't know all the ins-and-outs, but if y'all are doing your jobs, you're making a positive impact and the University will let the status quo remain.

Regardless, do your job like you'll be there for another twenty years.

And remember what your Uncle Gary said" "I've never been fired, quit, or drug-up on a job that it wasn't the best thing that ever happened to me."