Saturday, September 8, 2012

Leatherworking and Re-enactments

I am gearing up for the upcoming December encampment at Fort St. Jean Baptiste, and I'm starting to get excited. For years, I have either worked in historic interpretation or have borrowed clothing to participate in living history. No more! I have the money set aside, and will soon be purchasing a waistcoat, knee breeches, and a shirt! I plan on ordering from Fort Downing, as I have seen their work, they make a good product, and they have good prices. Yay for my own gear! ( I already have shoes and gaiters, as well as other accoutrements, so this should set me up reasonably well.

I have been working on a few projects as well for this encampment, most notably, my first piece of leatherwork that I plan on trying to sell. It is a medium-sized shoulder bag with a seamed, beaver-tail style flap. I am making a batch of Iron-dye to dye the bag black, and I still have to add a shoulder strap, but in a week or so, when it's all finished, I will post a picture.

I am also working on a pair of shoes for my son. I am hoping they will turn out well. They have started out good, but it is the first pair of shoes I have attempted to make, so we'll see....

Anyway, that's what's new in my re-enacting life!

Can't wait till December!

No comments: