Monday, September 17, 2012

Yesterday, I continued a tradition in my family's line that goes a long, long way back. You see, my father has been putting together a turkey shoot for his church, and it's been a few months in the making, but next weekend is the turkey shoot.

My son has been chattering non-stop about the turkey shoot, and every day, he tells me a story of what he will do "one day, when I'm your age, and I go to a turkey shoot..."

I have been thinking that maybe he is a bit too young to shoot yet, but he knows not to touch guns unless mommy or daddy say it's okay, and he has been talking about the turkey shoot constantly. I realized that I wasn't much older than him when I shot a gun for the first time, so I asked him.

"Son, do you want to learn to shoot?"

" yes, daddy."

We went out back and posted targets. We went over the 4 rules. I showed him how to hold the gun (a .410 H&R) and told him how to look down the barrel and place the bead on the target.

He dry fired twice, so I could make sure he was being safe, and I had to help him hold it because even a youth model H&R is still a little long for him, then we loaded a round. I only had 2 .410 rounds in my ammo can, and they were both buckshot.

The target was a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper with a one inch green dot sticker in the middle. His first shot, he hit the paper.

The second shot went high, but hey, that's how it goes sometimes.

I made a deal with him. If he can repeat the 4 rules by Saturday, and Paw-Paw will let him, he can take a shot at the turkey shoot, but he HAS to know the 4 rules.

He agreed. You should have seen the happiness on his face upon seeing his target. I'll never forget that look, and the high pitched voice filled with excitement. "I did it! I did it dad, I shot the gun!"

I took my son shooting yesterday.

I took my son shooting yesterday, and made memories not to be forgotten by me. And probably not by him.

5 comments:

eiaftinfo said...

Nice job Sir . . . dad/son time is the best! Enjoy!!

Pawpaw said...

I've got plenty of .410 shells. We'll let him shoot.

Michael W. said...

You know of course, the little whipper is going to win a turkey and you will not even hit the paper. I will of course, laugh.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Lol!

Michael, you're probably right.

Wilson said...

Good times that both of you will cherish forever.