So I haven't started carrying yet, as I don't get my permit until late June/ early July, but I've been thinking about it a lot. I've given myself a set of requirements for carrying, and they go as follows:
Weapon in front left pocket. I'm left handed, and as I'm carrying a j-frame snubby, pocket carry seems easiest, and in practice runs in my house, carrying in my pocket is comfortable. Nothing else goes in this pocket to help prevent accidental discharge, lint issues, etc.
I have a smart phone, and I got a belt case for it, but I can't find a comfortable yet effective place to wear it on my belt. Furthermore, I don't like it's construction/ durability. This leaves me with pocket carry for my smartphone. If I do this, I want it isolated in the pocket as well, as it is a touch screen, and I don't want to activate it/ scratch it. If it is in my front right pocket, that's all good and well, but it leaves me with only my two rear pockets to house my wallet, keys, pocketknife, and change, plus any other sundries I pick up throughout the day.
I've worried over this problem for the past 2 days, and low and behold, I found a solution!
I went digging through my old knife box, and found a few belt sheaths for folding knives. between the three sheaths I have, 6 or 7 of my pocketknives will go into one of them, including my 3 favorite pocketknives that I almost always carry anyway. I can position this to the right of my right rear pocket, and it rides comfortably, is out of the way, and is easily accessible.
Next, I solved the problem of my keys by making a belt catch for them. it's a simple ornamental piece of ironwork that a key ring attaches to, and it has a tab that slides behind and locks under my belt. It's handy, functional, and once I thought about it, it was really easy to make. (I am a blacksmith, after all.) It rides right in front of my knife sheath, and is easily removed one handed, with a little practice, yet virtually impossible to fall off.
Being left handed, my left rear pocket has my wallet, so I'm left with my right rear pocket to corral pocket change and sundries that I pic up throughout the day (receipts, etc.).
I've used this system sans revolver today (I've just been leaving the front left pocket empty), and it seems to work great. Cheers to my carry solution!
22 minutes ago

5 comments:
Sounds like a plan. While you're planning, plan to wipe your carry piece once a week or so. It amazes me how much lint/crud/sawdust gets in my pockets and on my pistol.
Wow thats...........thorough?
Dad- will do.
Barrett- yeah, but what's the Boy Scout Motto?
Oh, describing that belt-key thingabob is worthless without pictures.
I'd swap the rear pockets. I carry my wallet opposite side from the firearm so there are no issues if an officer would demand to see the permit.
Of course, I carry IWB/OWB. Pocket carry is less of an issue.
For pocket carry, Consider how you'd get to it while seated and buckled in. Then consider how you'll discretely get it in / out of the pocket.
Good thorough review shows you're thinking it through.
Stay safe - Paul
Post a Comment