Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's Awl Right

Sometimes I get put in the leather shop at work, and I'm tired of borrowing tools, so I'm slowly building my own kit. These are a few awls I made in the last few days. One is a round awl forged from a file tang, and the other is a square, dog-leg awl forged from a concrete nail. Both have whittled pear handles, and I made sheaths for both, so I don't stab myself in the hand while looking through my kit.

Anyway, I had fun making them.

3 comments:

Michael W. said...

Nice Job!

Pawpaw said...

Nice work. Why did you dog-leg that one awl?

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Dog-Leg awls were common as a trade item. they are sharpened on both ends, so if one point breaks, you can chip the handle off, make a new handle, and put the broken end in the new handle. Basically, it gives you 2 awls for the price of one. Also, if you are hitting the back of it with a mallot to drive it through a tough material, there is less chance the bit will push through he back of the handle, because of the dog-leg.

Historically, these are the reasons to have a dog-leg awl. I just did it because I thought it would be neat.