Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Family

Here's a picture of my Brothers. I was perusing my Dad's blog, and I came across this picture. It got me thinking about Family.



For many people, the word Family doesn't hold connotations stronger than law. For me, and probably most of my readers, it does. Family does indeed mean my wife, who I love deeply, in ways that I couldn't begin to explain. Family means my son, for whom I would gladly give my life at a moment's notice, if it could spare him harm.

But for me, Family goes back much farther than that. Family means my Dad, who would lay down his life for me, or any of my siblings. Hell, he'd lay down his life to help a stranger. He's a cop. It's part and parcel of 'to serve and protect', and he lives by that motto, bound by a sense of duty that few understand.

Family is my Mom, who loves me unconditionally.

Family is my brothers and sister. Whether working on cars or playing poker or just having a beer and shooting the breeze, I am happiest when enjoying the company of siblings.

Family is aunts and uncles who will see when you are stretched tight, and offer to help financially, even when you are too proud to accept, much less ask.

Family is grandparents that insist on gathering the clan back at least twice a year, because they understand the importance of Family.

Family is the friends you grew up with, and who will drive 3 hours across the state when you need a shoulder to cry on.

Family is a bond you carry with others. Blood may have a part to do with it, but the relationship you have with those you call family is the important part.

I won't think twice about defending my family.
I'd damned sure die for them, and count it a small sacrifice.

I live with part of my Family. My wife, my son. For certain sure, my life would be dull and grey without them. But it's the rest of my clan, my Family back in Louisiana that I don't see often that I miss so much.

But that's okay, because I'll meet many of them in Tennessee in July. It'll be good to see you guys.

6 comments:

Pawpaw said...

We miss you too.

Barrett said...

I have those same thoughts, but you worded it so much more eloquently than I could have.


I love you Joey

Melissa said...

I miss the other half of our family too...

Anonymous said...

yup, you summed "family" up just right. I miss the hell out of yall
and cant wait to see ya!

Nancy R. said...

Lovely post.

J said...

Good post, thanks for the comment on mine too lol