Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Getting A Grip On A J-Frame

So, I have been playing with Different grips on my Model 36. Thing is, I find the grip that is most comfortable happens to be a large Pachmyr boot grip. It's ugly. I want it to look nicer, but shootability matters more than looks, so I keep going back to the Pachmyrs.

On my 638, I have a set of grips that work great. But on the 36... not so much. I just can't get a good grip on the damned thing without those Pachmyrs.

So I started looking critically at my 638, and how I carried it. Bless that hump! I actually hold extremely high on that 638. Much higher than I can hold on a gun with a traditional hammer, or even on a hammerless. The web of my hand is actually completely over the top of the grip, and sits riiiiiiggghtttt below where the hammer reaches the end of its travel.

Because of this, the type of grips I have on the 638 really doesn't matter much. I'm getting a super high grip, which lowers the bore axis relative to my hand, and gives me more meat on the gun, helping mitigate recoil.

I knew I liked that gun!

...and I've made my peace with those Pachmyrs. They are exactly what's needed on that 36.

6 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Yep. Grips on a gun are as personal as drawers on a bum. I don't try to tell anyone which grips to use on their gat.

For the record, on my Mod 38, it's Hogue Compacts. But that's just me.

Old 1811 said...

I have had great results with Pachmayr Compacs on J-frames. I like the covered backstrap and the palm-filling girth, and the grips, at least for me, are small enough that they don't print in pocket carry or belt carry. They're also long enough that you get the use of your little finger in the grip.
Good luck.

Frank said...

"...a large Pachmyr boot grip."

Could you be more specific? I don't see anything on Pachmayr's list of J-frame grips that goes by that description. (The SJ-G Gripper, perhaps?)

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Frank-they are the Pachmayr Gripper Grips for a S&W round butt j-frame, product # 03249.

Old 1811- yes, I have been thinking about the Compac... I still am, as a matter of fact!

Pawpaw- yeah, you're right about the whole personal choice thing. I'll bring your Herritt's back next time I come. Thanks for letting me try them.

Old NFO said...

Yep, it's what works for you. Sadly, Pachmayr doesn't make grips for the early Colt Agents... Sigh...

Murphy's Law said...

I have a 642 J-frame, with a crimson trace grip. Is perfect for me and I love it for pocket carry.