More like "work with the old, dress nice with the new!"
My last boots gave me yeoman service, and I loved the look of the square toe, but I had walked a hole into the second set of soles on them, and they were just looking ratty. I'm a leatherworker, and even I can't bring them back where they need to be in order for them to be presentable for court anymore.
Saw a new set of Justin's on clearance for $70ish dollars, and I couldn't pass up that price. They are darker leather, so the will hide staining and scuffing longer. They are round toe, and have a rubber sole... I prefer the look of a square toe, and I like a leather sole, because you can replace them - most rubber soles are "bonded" meaning the sole is vulcanized right to the welt of the boot, making it impossible for a cobbler to repair.
But rubber soles are undoubtedly more comfortable, and grip better than leather...
So overall, I think they were a great deal for the price paid. And now I have a pair of work boots, too!


3 comments:
If it works, and price is decent, one must make do! :-)
Years ago, when you were a young'un, I had a pair of elk-hide boots I loved. Went through four, count 'em, four pairs of soles until the cobbler told me that there was nothing left to sew to.
NFO- that's exactly right!
Pawpaw- yeah, I hear ya. I like having the option to put a new sole on a boot.
Post a Comment