***REMINDER: If you are interested in a custom leather order, email me at lazyjdleatherworks (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will respond promptly.
Today, I burnished the edges of all the leather, except edges that will be sewn together in the final product. Those edges should be burnished together, so that the appear seamless. When you burnish edges, it takes a rough leather edge:
And polishes it smooth, almost like glass. It's hard to see in these pictures, but if shown in person, the difference is night and day.
Next I dyed all the leather, making sure to get a deep, even coat on everything, so that they all look the same once the project dries.
Finally, I applied Edge Kote to all the burnished edges, which seals them and makes a pretty final product.
Time spent today: 2.5 hours.
Total time on project, not counting emails and communication: 10 hours.
24 minutes ago





2 comments:
Thanks for laying it out, another thing this does is actually SHOW people how much time it takes to actually do that 'little' project, and why it's worth what it is! :-)
Indeed, so, NFO! I realised that unless you really LOOK, cruise leatherwork forums, etc, there is not really an easily found explanation of how leatherworkers turn hides into durable goods. Figured it'd be informative, and good blog fodder! :)
Post a Comment