Monday, August 14, 2017

Leather Order, From Start To Finish, Part 4

***REMINDER: If you are interested in a custom leather project, feel free to contact me at lazyjdleatherworks  (at) gmail  (dot) com, and I will get back with you promptly to discuss your needs. 

I honestly didn't expect to find time to work on this project this evening. Yet somehow, after getting home from work, cooking dinner, and loading the dishwasher, I suddenly had a few hours with nothing to do.

It was all sewing tonight. When sewing leather, generally if you let a project sit overnight, the stitching holes close up a little, necessitating running the awl back through all the holes.


Then you get the proper amount of thread (approximately 4 times the distance you are sewing) and put a stitching needle on each end of the thread.


You start a needle in 2 holes next to each other


Pull them both through


Then thread one back through from the opposite side into the hole next to it.


Each end of the thread passes through each hole, meaning you have 2 layers of thread through each hole. This is a basic saddle stitch.


After the ends meet, you tie a knot to the inside, and if you are using nylon thread, you can melt the ends together for an indestructible knot.



When measure correctly, the belt loops should fit tightly on the belt. (The belt loop on the left hand holster has to be slightly looser, in order to pass over the bullet loops on the belt).


Then I worked on starting the bullet loops on the belt. The thread is a but unwieldy, starting at over 8 foot of thread.


But, after a while, I had to call it a night. I gotta work tomorrow. The loops I got to look nice, though.


Time tonight: 2 hours

Total time, not including emails and communication: 12 hours.

Keep checking back for updates!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks nice so far.

J.D.