That's a Safariland shoulder rig. It was made for 4" barrel S&W K-frames. My father carried his in it for years, but it got left behind when he moved in with his then-fiancee (Now the world's best step mother), so I acquired it for myself. Now, a Taurus 627 is the same size as a S&W K-frame, except the Taurus has a full barrel shroud. I have a few K-frame holsters, and my Taurus 627 fits them all as if made for them. This holster is no different. It fits perfectly.
That being said, I decided to try shoulder carry for the first time today. It's a comfortable, low humidity day, and I felt comfortable about layering, so it seemed like a good day to try. I am overweight, so my button-down shirts aren't fitting anyway, therefore they make a good over-garment. I wore an undershirt, put on my shoulder rig, and went to run errands. It was quite comfortable! I was out for over an hour, and had no discomfort at all. In fact, the grip tucked nicely right over my love handle, and my elbow naturally kept the gun tucked in tightly. It was a great way to carry. If I were to carry this way frequently, I'd need to get a pair of wooden grips, as the Taurus Ribber Grips grab the fabric of the over-shirt and don't allow it to move naturally, but that wouldn't be a big problem unless someone is actively studying you.
My biggest problem came as I was walking up the steps of my porch. The Taurus FELL OUT of the holster! It has a floating firing pin, and as it's a 7 shot I usually leave the chamber under the hammer empty to reduce the chance of accidents, and it was on a wooden step that it fell, but assume it fell on concrete and I didn't take safety precautions, and it had a fixed firing pin. I shudder to think!
So, Dad, did you ever experience you firearm coming out with this holster? I'm definitely doing some more thinking about this before shoulder carrying again.
*EDITED TO ADD*
This isn't the first post I've had with this title. I think I may start a weekly Thoughts on Concealed Carry. We'll see how it goes.


No comments:
Post a Comment