I do most of my blogging from my smart phone. It's portable, easy, gets Internet access just about anywhere, and has a decent camera.
However....
I went to my new range today for the first time, and I brought my new gun, which hadn't been fired before. Next thing I knew, I had so much stuff to talk about that I just knew I'd need a full size keyboard and some spare time. So I went ahead and sent the pictures in a separate post via my phone, and am actually going to write the report here, and hopefully merge the two posts into a single understandable document.
First, my new range.
Overall, I like it. they are super serious about safety (a big plus in my book), they have a nice clubhouse, they allow up to 3 guests per member, and everyone is friendly. The biggest drawback is that none of the ranges have roofs. In a Florida summer, when the difference between direct sunlight and shade is a good 10 degrees, a roof is a godsend. Also, they had no target stands available, so I ended up finding a few discarded 1x2's and cobbling something together. It was inconvenient, but I'll know to bring my own in the future.
Now, as for the new gun...
I got a Smith and Wesson 638 Bodyguard. I've taken my concealed carry course, I submit my paperwork to the state on the 29Th of June, and this seemed like it would be a great carry gun. Boy, am I happy with the purchase. The little thing is more accurate than I am, considering it's basic sighting design. One thing I did notice was that it works best when you sight the center of the bulls eye to sit on top of the front sight. I've always aimed by placing the front sight on what I'm aiming at. This isn't a problem, but it will require training to make it second nature. I shot three different hand loads today (thanks, Dad!), and discovered that the 158gr. cast SWC over a mild load of unique works very well in the little gun. Further, After shooting 100 or so rounds through the 638, I had almost no fatigue.
At around 100 rounds, I decided that I wanted to switch to my Taurus for a control group. It felt HUGE in my hand! the size difference between the two guns is really pretty amazing. Anyway, I ran 4 or 5 cylinders through the gun, and realized that the difference between the two guns, as far as grouping goes, was negligible! I've been shooting the Taurus for 7 years now, and it has a 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights, and when firing both guns double action, the group size was about the same... very interesting, indeed.
Both guns fired significantly better with single action, but this is to be expected. At the end of the day, though, I have a new gun that I'm extremely satisfied with, and that I will need to practice with much more in order to be able to reach it's full potential, as it is more accurate that I am.
Also at the end of the day, I have two guns that need cleaning......
23 minutes ago

1 comment:
regarding target stands. Those small "poke-in-the-ground" campaign signs and realtor signs make great target stands. I keep three or four in the back of the truck at all times.
Post a Comment