Monday, May 24, 2010

Meat Pies

Meat Pies are an old north Louisiana tradition. My Dad's wife (also known as Momma) has one of the most amazing meat pie recipes ever devised. I love it, but there's a problem with it.

Everyone else loves them too.

Because they are made from scratch, it takes a little lead time to make a batch. About 2 hours to be exact. Because everyone loves them, and because when I make some, I want to have enough to freeze some, I make triple batches. So it takes a good 4 hours lead time to make meat pies.

That's why I only make them every 4 or 5 months.

I've chopped veggies, cooked filling and set it aside to cool. Now, I'm going to take a break and rest before making the crust. I'll cook them about 5 this afternoon. I'll try to post pictures.

And Momma, thanks for the recipe! Being a good cook is a blessing and a curse!

8 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Um ... any chance you'll share the recipe? Pretty please?

I'll trade you an 18th century hot-buttered rum receipt that will knock your socks off.

Pawpaw said...

Nancy - Try this recipe. It's the one he uses.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com/2009/11/meat-pies.html

Nancy R. said...

Thanks, Pawpaw!

Michael W. said...

If I may be so bold and step in for Miss Nancy, here is her Hot Buttered Rum recipe.

For One:

1 Cup Sweet Cider
1 TBSP Maple Syrup
3/4 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup rum

For Two:

2 Cups sweet cider
1/8 cup maple Syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons Butter
1/2 cup rum

For a group:

4 cups sweet cider
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 TBSP butter
1 cup of rum

For a crowd:

8 cups sweet cider
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 quart rum

Warm the first three ingredients then remove from heat source and add the rum. Mix well.

And my own contribution a little drink called the Stonewall. To a mug full of a hard cider (Hornsby, Woodpecker,Woodchuck) add one shot of rum.

Do NOT make these drinks with anything other than dark rum, and for the love of Pete NOT Bacardi. Bacardi Rum is only fitting to be used as paint thinner. (grin)

Nancy R. said...

AND real butter, maple syrup and cider. Not margarine, pancake syrup and apple juice. Not that I have to tell you guys that. *grin* It's just in case any lurkers out there that don't know any better want to give it a shot.

I declare this hot buttered rum would mellow a hamster on crack. This isn't the right season for it, but file it away until things cool off.

Michael W. said...

The stonewall can be a warm weather drink. However anyone who would make a hot buttered rum with margarine, pancake syrup or apple juice should be beaten with a 2X4.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Michael and Nancy- thanks, guys. Sounds great!

Nancy R. said...

One more clarification - what Michael W. calls sweet cider is just plain old apple cider. Not the hard stuff.