So I got off work last night, and the wife and her mom are heading out the door with the boy in tow.
She says "We're going shopping. Wanna go to the range, and we'll have dinner in a few hours?"
Damn yeah!
I quickly cobbled together a target stand from scrap lumber, as I was lacking one last time, changed into a t-shirt and shorts, and saddled up.
130 rounds of .38 special later, and I was out of ammo. The target stand was so thrashed that I just threw it away, and the S&W 638 was absolutely filthy. My hands had powder residue all over them.
I can produce some pretty good double action targets from 7 yards, when I take my time and aim.
I started working on quick sight aquisition and fast double taps. I've never really practiced defensive shooting before, so this was new to me.
Basically, I left with a reality check. Speed counts, and frankly, I don't have it. I can shoot good, or I can shoot quick, but I can't do both.
While I had a blast (who DOESN'T like range time?), I'm trying to figure out how to improve.
Anyone know some good practice drills for speed while retaining accuracy?
21 minutes ago

5 comments:
aint range time the best. I went this morning with dad. I shot the savage at 300 yds. It was awesome!
Matt- yeah, man, range time beats all. Nice groups, BTW. I saw pics at dad's blog.
There's a sticker on Matt's tool box. You can have fast, or cheap, or good. You get to choose two.
Defensive pistol shooting is the same way. You get to choose two.
Start slow, work on muscle memory. Train your eye to pick up the front sight. Train your hand to find the butt of the revolver. Go slow and fire two shots, boom, boom. Then reholster. Do it again and again and again.
The best part about training like this is that you don't need ammo to do it. You can dry-fire in any safe place. Just make doubly sure that the revolver is unloaded, unless you want your family to "crack-wise" about you shooting holes in the wall. Don't ask how I know this.
As for a training standard, we train new cops to get two shots fired (from a snapped-in holster) in two seconds. Train for that and you'll find it's fairly easy.
Well, there are lots of drills at pistol-training.com.
I have no affiliation, but the author seems to know what he's doing, and the drills seem to be appropriate.
Just don't think you'll be able to do them well your first time out.
Post a Comment